The Girls trip, Pre-Party adventure

Leslie, Jackie, Jenny, & Gina (Matt, Kristine & Ken) March 16-19

2. rail

Sunday, waiting for the girls to arrive, we cleaned the boat, filled the fuel tank and walked to Peace and Plenty to await the early partiers. Garrett’s family was already here and he moved in with them while the girls sailed.  John and Bonnie were also at Peace and Plenty and it was fun to catch up before we would get everyone onboard, and back on anchor for an early Monday AM departure for Long Island.

Monday 8AM, we sailed to Salt Pond in Long Island (about a 5 hour sail) and arrived near low tide so we had to maneuver some shoals and coral heads along the way. Finally found a nice place to anchor off near Long Island Breeze and the city dock.  Matt and the girls took the dingy in and found some food and alcohol replenishments.

4.St Pat's Recon

It was St. Pats Day and they were decked out in their green hats and necklaces.

They all had a good time onshore but we all agree, there wasn’t much there so Tuesday we headed across to Pigeon Cay (sailed most of the way with both sails up!) to meet up with Dwight who owns La Shante Resort and Restaurant.   We had met him the prior Sunday at Peace & Plenty and he invited us to come and he would cook us a lobster dinner if we called ahead.   His cove was just beautiful and he was ready for us to come ashore right away mid-afternoon for our Lobster.   Eating early turned out to be a blessing because the bugs came out with a vengeance as the sun was going down.

1. Crew

5. Pigeon Cay Lobster

Only eventful part of the afternoon was Jackie not quite making a graceful exit from the dingy when they got to shore!!!  And the required scrubbing off the suntan  lotion stains off the deck! Really yellow white gel coat!

3. scrubbin

Wednesday, we left early to motor up to Georgetown Harbor back to Peace & Plenty where we anchored off of the hotel.   Many coming to the party had arrived and it was fun to go ashore to meet up with them.   Scott Wanless (last year’s crew) was waiting and he and I picked up a rental car to help with the airport shuttles for the day.  The girls gathered their boat gear and collected the rest of their luggage at Peace & Plenty and moved into their “African” Suite there.

Return to Stella Maris for repairs – March 11, 2014

Our Manatee friend at Stella Maris


Ken’s returned to Georgetown and the boat on Sunday, March 9th, and on Monday, I got a ride across Georgetown Harbor with Bob from Kevalli house to do some last minute provisions and beer.  We have made arrangements with Ian at Stella Maris Marina on Long Island to have some stainless work done on our anchor roller.  Plans would be to sail on Tuesday there by mid-afternoon, have the work done and then leave on Wednesday for Hawks nest on Cat Island.   All sounded good but when we got to Stella Maris, they were not ready to do our stainless work which was very disappointing.   Difference in opinions of the work order.

Bar game

We decided to make the most of our stop and  had a great time there at the Resort Restaurant where they played a silly card game with audience participation.  (you had to pay into the kitty to play, winner got the kitty).  I did not get far in the game.    Also had some evening entertainment with the Rake and Scrape band!Rake and Scrape band

When we got to Hawks nest Resort and Marina on Cat Island, we thought we would try to anchor in their small channel (Hawks nest Creek) leading into some salt flats, but the anchor would not hold so we decided to go into the marina.   This marina proved to be small but with loads of amenities.  I got laundry done, we swam in their pool, many times, they had bikes to borrow, and I got some fish (snapper) from our neighboring fishing Yacht.  The owners were gone and the caretakers gave us a tour of their beautiful vessel fit for a king!  We stayed two nights and while we were there, met Dave (solo sailor) on his Cat (Meow) who offered happy hour ceviche.    Dave eventually left when we did and followed us back to Georgetown.

5. Canal to Hawks Nest

Hawks Nest Creek and Hawks Nest Marina

Saturday, on our entrance to Georgetown Harbor, we lost engine power and had to finish the length of the Harbor with Jib alone, dropping the anchor just off Regatta Point near the Exuma Yacht club. While Ken and Garrett cleaned the fuel filter (totally clogged), I took the dingy into the dingy dock near Exuma Market to get to the liquor store before it closed at 5pm.  Sunday the girls would arrive for their 3 days of sailing and we would need to be fully stocked!

After several hours of trouble shooting and thinking our gas gauge was not working, the guys finally put some clean diesel into the tank and the boat ran just fine.   Must have gotten some dirty diesel somewhere and will require some regular cleaning of the fuel filter.

Georgetown Regatta – Alec, Ken, Garrett, Wendell, Jon & Kristine


After getting the boat settled, the boys took the dingy to the dingy dock, Alec and Garett took Elvis’s water taxi across to Chat n Chill, and Ken went to Peace and Plenty to discuss details of the upcoming party. I stayed on the boat to clean, etc.   Wendell arrived at the boat via the Conch guys boat from the ferry dock. 

Chat n chill

“Road sign” at Chat n Chill


Conch shell remains at the Conch Shack

On Friday, our one major project was to get across to Chat n Chill to attend the skippers meeting.  Ken and Wendell would go for the 2pm meeting at St. Francis Resort.  Prior to the skippers meeting, Regatta Registration started at 10AM there.  I bought a tee-shirt, ate and by 4:30, hopped on one of the water taxi’s back to the boat.  The boys would be on their own to get back to Georgetown side.  After about 30 minutes of my being back on the boat, I was hailed on channel 16  by a taxi driver that had picked up John Gray at the airport.   After giving them directions to Elvis’s dock, and where the boat was, John arrived boat side with suitcase and a thirst for a beer.   Soon after dark, the remaining boys arrived by water taxi and started their “boy talk” complete with scotch,  rum and cigars!   I made dinner!

Opening Regatta

Regatta Registration and skippers meeting

Cruisers Regatta Crew - Georgetown

Georgetown Cruisers Regatta Crew – Jon Gray, Ken, Kristine (land crew), Alec Johnson, Garrett Peterson and Wendell Meise


My view from Kevalli House pavilion where I got some great pic’s of the “round the Island race”



Saturday, we had time before the first race to move the boat over to Kevalli House to one of Bob’s moorings.  I would be land crew and had packed the refrigerator things and clothes we would need at the cottage.   The dingy was left behind with me when the boys took off for the start of the race and after watching most of the race from Kevalli House pavilion on top of the hill, I took the dingy out to get pictures of them finishing up their last leg.  This first day of racing was upwind/downwind legs.  Tomorrow would be their long “around the island” race.

Upwind leg

Finish of around island


New Spinnaker

Our new Spinnaker!!!

crew on downwind

First days results – Grateful Red “Retired” after realizing flying the spin would disqualify them….silly boys!

Sunday, the boat left about noon for the round the island (Stocking) race.    I had to get some things at the market which closed at 11AM and Bob was going and offered a ride.  When we arrived at the dingy dock, I went to step out and a small surge rocked the boat.  I missed the dock entirely with my feet and my right hand took all the brunt of the fall on the dock.  Seriously thought it was broken all day and when I returned to the Kevalli house via Elvis water taxi,   was in serious pain.   It was swollen and bruised and I was anxious to have the boat return so I could get my “pain” medicine I had on board.   When Ken and the boys were back, He brought my kit that included an ace bandage and I was relieved to have left-over dental work medicine!   Writing this days later, I know I did not break anything, but it was the worse sprain or strain I have ever experienced.  And I have bad hands to begin with so this was insult to injury for me.

The boys took over dinner this night and we had a lovely Flank steak with potatoes and broccoli!  They even cleaned up!!!!

Saturday even was filled with friendly (!) pingpong challenges…and a few stinky cigars.  Where did they come from?


Ping Pong


Wendell - Cuban


Sunday, Day two – Round the Island Race

View of Hurricane holes

Ocean side East

Major zoom on this pic

view from pavilion

Same shot without zoom!!!

Around the island race - north

Inside the harbor heading North

Cruisers Regatta trophys

Awards Ceremony – hats and booze

Monday, the race was cancelled for reasons we do not know, but that was fine.  Everyone had a great time and the sailing seemed successful and fun.   Saturdays race, they flew the new spinnaker (which disqualified them) and  after Sundays race, ended up 7th out of 8th in their class.

Alec arranged his ride back to Georgetown for his afternoon flight on Monday and the rest of us relaxed for the day.

Tuesday we motored across from Stocking Island to Exuma Yacht Club, dropped off Wendell and Jon for their flights, got diesel, water and provisions,  dropped off laundry at the Corner Laundry (Garrett was happy to think he would get some clean clothes) , case of beer, box-o-wine, etc, and then motored back to Kevalli house where we stayed for another 3 days.   

Ken left to go home to USA on Saturday leaving us with a list of work projects that would keep us busy most mornings.   In the afternoons, Garrett and I took turns using the dingy or just hung out.   Sunday we went to Chat n Chill for their famous Ribs.  My morning entertainment was the cruisers net which started promptly at 8AM on VHF channel 72.  They do the weather almost immediately and most mornings I would miss it!  To me that was more important than the other things they “chat” about.

Being off-shore on a mooring meant that we would have to run the motor every other day to charge the batteries and run the refrigerator.  Good system, but it is nice to be at a dock, hooked up to electric and unlimited water!!!

Hole Three mooring