Upon arrival to Port Napoleon, the re-rigging of Grateful Red commenced and when completed, crew Ken, Ron and Matt sailed to St-Tropez

Almost a three-day regatta - over 15 inches of rain on day three of regatta. Most ever in the recorded history of St-Tropez. Crew was lead by Dennis and Harry from Holland joined by Wendell, Brad, Mike, Paula, Paul, Ken and Matt. Placed 87th out of 127th. All 120 plus IRC rated boats started at the same time with a start line that accommodated thirty boats. Do you know the boat, \"right of way rules?\"

St-Tropez around Giraglia Rock at the Southern tip of Corsica, and on to San Remo, Italy. Two-hundred-forty-five nautical miles. Dennis and Harry returned to Holland and Mike joined the Rolex crew. Terrific A-Sym reach with Paul Stroup driving yielded a 12+ knot/hr boat speed. Inadvertently (???) the race finish instructions were only in French - we got lost and with the help of others, finished 118 out of 226.

The French Riviera, Cote d\' Azur. The crew of Brian, Beth, Paul, Matt, Ann Marie, Vicki and Ken sailed San Remo (the Italian Riviera), Cannes (where we met up with Grateful Red sailor Dan Neely), Antibes, San Raphael and finally back to San Tropez. Got lucky to find the last slip in the downtown San Raphael marina and spent time in the old city.

Ajaccio to Bonaficio, Corsica to La Maddalena , Isla Rossa in Italy, and back to Propriano and Ajaccio in Corsica. Matt, Matt Molly (the three M\'s), Gordie and Ken were the crew. Terrific sailing and great parties every night, the fleet loved the blender. Placed 25th out of forty boats, with a different port every night.

First a two-night sail from Corsica to Menorca, Spain and on to Majorca for the Kings Regatta. Crew of Matt, Matt, Nora, Scott and Charlie - the Lady GaGa crowd stayed slept on the boat - with Susan, Jack, Cissy, Kristine and Ken in the on-shore apartment. After four days of racing tied with J122 - Noisy Oyster - only to lose the challenged bottle of Champagne on the last race.

Most of the Copa del Rey crew along with Niki, Mark and Bridgette sailed the overnight to Barcelona, Spain and spent a couple of nights partying, and being victim of a camera heist by a flower vendor. Kristine, Ken, Mark and Bridgette sailed on, along the Spanish coast, across the Golfe de Lion, spent a great night on the hook in the Porquerolles and then back to St-Tropez.

The Traditional Class \"wooden boats over 16 meters in length\" had 44 participants. There was a ten boat Wooden 12-meter class. American Cup boats. 288 boats overall in the regatta. Crew of Leneke, Clarissa and Jeroen as the Dutch contingent with Teri, George, Kristine and Ken had difficulties in finding the correct course among many courses in the sailing instructions. Finally on the last day, sailed the correct course and beat boats. A great finish to a terrific racing season!

Pictures of theClassic and Traditional sailing vessels of the Les Voiles de St-Tropez Regatta

After a terrific Grateful Red St-Tropez party the final cruise back to Port Napoleon was with Lake Kegonsa Sailing Club sailors, Jack, Steve and Ken. A night in the Porquerolles, a night in the great old port of Cassis and finally, a motor into the thirty knot headwinds to cross the Golfe do Fos and enter into Port Napoleon. Too windy to take put the boat on the hard, but spent a night listening to the Badgers when they beat Ohio State via Internet Radio.

Crew of Leslie, Tom, Kristine, and Ken had an auspicious departure from Mango Marine. Tom and Ken decided to take a dip as the Grateful Red departed from the dock. A terrific downwind run with an overnight at Key Largo with Wendell and Shelley.

Fourth running of the Key West race week for the Red ”no broken parts, no boat damage, and a great crew. The final day the crew donned the Grateful Red head gear as we crossed the finish line for the last time before heading to Europe. First use of the Peter designed kegerator at KWRW” a big hit.

Send off parties at Ken and Kristine\'s two favorite Key West establishments ”the Conch Harbor Tiki bar and Schooner\'s Wharf and owner Avalena” part of the Grateful Red crew.

The ocean crossing voyage begins as the Grateful Red departs Key West for Oslo, Norway. Crew of Jenica, Matt, Joey, Lisa, Ken, and Kristine head north stopping at Key Largo to visit Wendell and Shelley. A party stop at Miami south beach and finally to Fort Lauderdale and Pier 66. A very posh marina, the Grateful Red could go on the deck of some of the motor yachts.

The coastal cruising continued with the crew of Denny, Scott, Charlie, Vicki, Jori, and Ken. A windy overnight was handled well by the teenage contingent of the crew. Four stops later the Grateful Red was in St. Augustine, home of the CC dealer that sold Ken the Grateful Red, rented Ken the Windy Gill, and provide Ken, Kristine, Jenica, and Liza their US Sailing certificates

St. Augustine to Edisto Beach was done by the all woman crew of Teri, Leslie, Mary, Debi, and Kristine. Not as exciting as the Nassau Hopetown overnight sail but great nights in Savannah with a low country boil courtesy of Jerry and Diane\'s Polk market and three stops along the way.

After a great party weekend, Mary and Kristine drove to Charleston while Ken and crew "flew" like the wind on Grateful Red. Full reverse into the dock just to stop the wind was so mighty.

First leg of the ocean crossing was the Charleston to Bermuda regatta, only nine boats in the regatta and three days of low (I did mention low) winds. The crew of Bridgette, Mark, Jack, Curtis, and Ken did a little sailing and did a little swimming but finally arrived at the Royal Bermuda yacht club with a third place finish and land crew of Cissy and Kristine.

The long leg started with a drifter, followed by the gooseneck screws backing out of the mast as we bobbed, so the crew of Jack, Curtis, and Ken motored north to catch the trade winds. Eight days of 30 plus winds and rain, drizzle, and wetness, but great sailing and terrific crew. 2,000 miles and 15 days later the Grateful Red was in Horta and the crew at Pete\'s Sailors Bar telling stories.

The crew of Jason, Brendt, Paula, Matt, Jack, and Ken left Horta in a nice breeze heading north, day four saw the forestay let loose, foresail a-flapping, but mast still standing. Quick use of the spin halyards to hold up the mast, plus some cagey sail rigging by Matt and Jack, and the Grateful Red wove through the boats in the Straits of Dover to Ijmuiden, Netherlands.

A wild weekend in Amsterdam for old and new crew with the days spent rigging the Grateful Red for the next leg, Oslo, Norway and the summer party. With a great assist from Harken in Amsterdam the boat was ready to sail on Monday with a new forestay and roller furler.

Around the Netherlands, through the Kiel canal to the east side of Denmark, couple island stops and hops to the west Coast of Swedenâ, Gotenburg and fjords with Peter, Maggie, Molly, Gordie, Kristine, and Ken. Finally to the Kosta islands and Ola, my long time Natural buddy and his family at their costal cottage. Just in time to Oslo fjord for the summer party time.

Sailed up the Oslo fjord to the Aker Brygge, the castle of Oslo and long time Norwegian friends. Great performance by Blackhawk and Jamie, dancing by the Norwegians, and a great week in Oslo. Remember it can snow any day in Norway!

Crew of Wendell, Dan, Hannah, Ken and Kristine sailed back from Oslo. Included was a stop and inspection by the Dutch Coast guard, all papers were in order. The only problem was no diesel; spent an evening in the drift mode. With Hannah at the wheel the wind returned and the crew arrived back at Ijmuiden.

While Ken returned stateside, Kristine \"maintained\" the boat. The marina experienced Force 10 wind, more than sixty miles an hour, in the harbor. Jenica and Shelley came to visit the boat and Gerhardt\'s in Amsterdam for a wine tasting.

After a summer of ocean sailing, the \"stand mast\" canal crew, Janet, Larry, Ron, Ken, and Kristine, joined the Grateful Red and motored with her 62 foot mast upright from Ijmuiden ”the harbor of Amsterdam” through Holland, over the six lane highway with a stop in Leiden, and finally to Bruinesse, Netherlands for the winter season.

Started with a party night at SSMR for Herbie and Mike, rough start but Wendell and Kristine jumped on at Crow\'s Nest and we managed the overnight to Key West

Lake Kegonsa Sailing Club contributed crew but overzealous practice resulted in a bent boom. Jason did an on-site repair and the Grateful Red was back on the course with a couple of Friday broaches.

Kendall, Lydia and Dan help Ken sail from Key West to Ft. Lauderdale.

Race started as a drifter, Wendell and Kristine's shift almost drifted into a cruise boat but the winds increased, the Grateful Red beat boats and the ten completed the race to Nassau.

By far the best looking Grateful Red crew sailed a windy full moon night across the open ocean from Nassau to the Abacos. All survived but a little \"beat up\" from the overnight seas. True sailors!

The Grateful Red Hopetown party brought in a terrific sailing group. Sailed to the Abacos resort - Orchid Bay club in Great Guana Cay. Great fun.

After the party, Brad, Dan, Jack from the LKSC stayed to try flying the Grateful Red big symmetrical spinnaker. Got it up with Sunnyside boys Vaage and Hosely as crew.

The nephew and cousins sail across the Bahamas banks, wreck diving, stop in a ritzy Bimini yacht club and a terrific sail across the Gulf stream to Fort Lauderdale.

Niki and Liza live in Chicago, joined the Chicago yacht Club. CYC is trying to broaden their membership - younger, women - more diversity and Ken gets to sail with his daughters and their friends.

100th Mac is full, the Grateful Red has a great time at the Racine Yacht Club and races the Hook. Racine to Menominee Michigan races thru Death\'s Door, past Door County

We traveled from Menominee to Mack Island.

The Chicago Yacht Club\'s around the buoy regatta. Most boats were practicing and getting lighter...the Grateful Red had the kegerator in the shower and Moonhouse for the Friday night party.

Ice boating at the end of the day. Picture was taken by Kristine and submitted for print in the Wisconsin State Journal for picture of the week.

First hurricane season in SSMR repairing a 100 & one warranty issues, but SSMR was up to the challenge.

Jack, Cissy, Gary and Janet do wild and windy overnight sail from St. Pete\'s to Key West. With a strong northerly crew arrives in KW before the Turtle Kraal Bar opens. Jack solves the issue by only ordering easy to serve shots.

Liza and friends us the Grateful Red for their winter break losing only their car keys. ken and Kristine move out to the Hyatt!

Niki brings new crew for race week. they learn that Duvall Street, late nights, and racing don\'t mix so well. Breakfast can come back to haunt you.

Syracuse roommates Shanna and Mary were joined by cousins Alec and Peter coming to Duvall Street for Spring Break and Grateful Red sailing.

First big off-shore race - 555 miles from St. Pete to Isla de Mujeres, Mexico. With a crew of nine the spinnaker was no challenge on terrific full moon sail.

With a pick-up of local Sunnyside boy, Bryce, Fred, Paul and Paula sailed along but...did not stop...on the coast of Cuba on the way back to St. Pete\'s.

First overnight for the Grateful Red, St. Petersburg to Key West. Crew of Liza's friends - Dave, Evan, Matt Neville, TJ, Nick, Matt Hund, and Syracuse roommates Mary and Shana.

First Big Regatta....and rum tent for Grateful Red Crew. Crew headed by the Fauerbach\'s: Kristine, Maggie, Karl and Peter

First Schooners Race, only Blackhawk did some swimming but the crew picked him up and finished the race, receiving the life saver award.

First sail up Hawk\'s channel, stop at Little Palm where Dan took a snooze, with stop at Key Largo to see Wendell and Shelly Meise

With Lenica as the driver and experienced Key West Race Crew - Best times partying on South Beach

Johnson family did an overnight across the Gulf Stream sailing on to Nassau. First off-shore for the Grateful Red. the Johnson Boys - Bradley, Kyle and Charlie lead the way.

Across the great Bahamas bank, with a swim in party stop, windy sail from Bimini to Key Largo where Wendell jumped ship and Fred, Paula and Ken sailed on to Key West.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

We are still working on a description for this gallery. In the meantime, please feel free to browse the photos.

First year in the Mediterranean Ken has the Grateful Red participating in four “big time” regatta, Kristine and Eddie have a San Tropez apartment and become part of the San Tropez scene. Kristine has San Tropez friends and Ken has sailor buddies who attend the annual Grateful Red party, Kristine found a terrific party house with Blackhawk, Jaime and John playing on the San Tropez old harbor quay, an outstanding performance at Kelly’s Irish pub and Place de Lice. Setting the San Tropez scene.

For ten years plus Ken went to Norway on business accumulating friends, favorite bars (the Palace Grill), and locations (Aker Brygge) ”the downtown Oslo Wharf. With the help of Tore a party house was found in Drobak”a small town a day sail from Oslo. Quaint, less expensive, and with a nice Island marina. Moonhouse showed the Norwegians”a dock party time! Over thirty Grateful Red crew from the U.S. attended and danced.

Last party stop before the ocean crossing and at the end of the girls cruise from St. Augustine. A little early in the season but great weather with terrific party houses resulted in a big crowd. Most exciting was the one day sail to Charleston when the winds hit 40+ as we docked the Grateful Red in the Charleston marina.

The first on-the-road party. Fly in to Marsh Harbor, ferry to Hopetown. Villas had small skiffs for transport—no cars here. And to the surprise of party goers, banks andATM’s were open only on Tuesdays. Moonhouse was a huge hit as the band toured all three local bars—making each their own hotspot. Almost sixty came—great organizing by Cindy.

Party two in Key West—Ken and Kristine were now pros on the local environment. Rented the first party house—the Fiesta house reigned supreme. Saturday afternoon cruise was a hit. Moonhouse played late at the Fiesta bringing the local Gendarmerie as party attendees.

Party number one away from Lake Kegonsa about two days after the opening of Dantes, the conch harbor Tiki bar. Daryl, the long haired, always toasted owner became our best buddy for the next five years. Ken always receives Key West local drink rates at Dante\'s. Blackhawk came solo, picked up George, a terrific player, at Dante\'s, and formed the party band.

After a winter of boat repair, a hull repaint and new racing headsails, the Grateful Red was ready for the sail back across the ocean to the Caribbean. The crew leaving San Tropez was kristine\'s childhood friend their Devils\' Lake days - Page, her husband Alan, Mike O\'Connor who celebrating his new great job by again crewing, Kristine and Ken. First stop was the Island of Corsica, then the Italian Tuscan islands including Elba once the home of Napoleon, a stop in Flegrean Islands, and we couldn\'t find a slip in any Naples marina so we sailed down the coast to a marina where we could see Pompeii.

Charlie, Ken\'s nephew joined Ken & Kristine for his 10 week summer job as the Grateful Red Mediterranean crew. He arrived late to Naples, took the Italian train to the boats harbor. The sail from Naples followed the route of the Odyssey. past the island of the Sirens, where Odysseus was tied to the mast to hear the Sirens and his crew let the counter winds out of the bag. The Grateful Red visited volcanic islands where the six-headed monster Scylla lived and the volcano still spews lava into the sea. Through the Straits of Messina, home of the whirlpool that sucked in Odysseus\'s ship, followed by the long, boring sail along the bottom of the Italian boot with only interruptions being a few visits by the Italian coast guard (war in Libya was on going with NATO bombers flying overhead and the coast guard looking for boats full of Libyans fleeing to Italy). After a couple of high wind storms and hours of no wind motoring, the crew of three arrived in Dubrovnik.

In Dubrovnik the crew jumped from three to seven with the addition of Raouf and daughter Michelle, and Alastair with daughter Isabella. Michelle and Isabella were both exciting six year old school mates in Prague with dads that were ready to sail the Dalmatian coast. Can\'t tell you how much fun this crew had going from island to Island with Raouf always looking for the best harbor restaurant for dinner, wine and cigars, while Charlie was the leader of the crew for 2015. Captain Ken took on the responsibility of morning sail lessons for the girls, with a sailing test at Cres (and if Isabella and Michelle didn\'t pass the final exam in Cres, two more weeks on Grateful Red). Charlie and Alastair were top foredeck crew; one only had to think spinnaker and the chute was flying! Ten days of a terrific crew.

The Offshore Racing Council was the governing organization for the world offshore regatta in Cres, Croatia. There is not an ORC governing body in the USA so the ORC regattas had never had a USA built boat with a USA flag in their regattas. In Spring of 2010 the Grateful Red was measured by an ORC measurer at Port Napoleon - qualifying the Grateful Red for the ORC worlds in Cres. We had a worldwide crew of Wendell, Ken and Charlie from the USA and team Holland of Leneke, Jeroen and Clarissa from the Netherlands, Trouble...no wind at the regatta. In the 80 mile offshore overnight race the TP52 racing machines with professional crews averaged less than two knots. The Grateful Red had sterring linkage issues and did not participate in the overnight. Team Holland lead by Jeroen and Clarissa, had a part fabricated on site and repaired the linkage. The Grateful Red raced the last day, only regatta day with winds over five knots, and beat a few boats. Success!

Donley Cruise - Cres to Corfu After the low wind ORC regatta the new crew of Beth, Brian and Kat brought wind with them. The Donley cruise was from the island of Cres, Croatia to Corfu island in Greece. Five hundred miles of sailing with such famous islands as Losinj (had a nice swing bridge), Dugi Otok (the long island), the Kornati archipelago – a Croatian national park of over 140 islands and finally the island of Vis – the last of the Croatian islands. A quick overnight and the Grateful Red was in Greek waters. When the Greek god Poseidon fell in love with the beautiful nymph Korkyra he abducted her to the island of Corfu to be certain no other god saw her and they would have martial bliss. Wonder if this strategy worked. The capital of Corfu is the city of Corfu – a city from when Greece ruled the world. Jumbled streets, small shops and a terrific night light. Perfect place to stop and change crew.

Sailing Corfu to Siracuse Crew change in Corfu – the Donley’s were a terrific crew but needed to return for work – work is always an issue. The Corfu to Siracuse crew of Vicki and Steve jumped a board with one overnight with both crews telling stories. The first stop for Vicki and Steve was the island of Paxio just a short half day sail from Corfu. Terrific harbor, half empty and lots of Greek restaurants. We needed to store up supplies for the 300 plus mile two nights on the sea sail. Since the Grateful Red can only motor about 200 miles – wind was needed and found including a nice downwind leg. After a couple nights at sea we arrive in Siracuse for the regatta from the clean and tidy streets of Corfu and Paxio to the dirty broken down town of Siracuse – it was like we sailing back a 100 years in time.

Siracuse Malta Regatta Only crew change was Charlie ended his Med sailing career as the Grateful Red foredeck in Siracuse. Did a terrific job! Vicki, Steve, Kristine and Ken were the “race team”. Again the only American flag boat in the regatta – an overnight to Malta. Started with light winds along the coast of Siracuse, had terrific winds across the Ionean Sea and ending with a drifter in the harbor. Managed to miss the freighter with the classic line “When the IAS shows zero miles in two minutes what does this mean?” means a quick gibe and avoid the freighter. Malta is one impressive fort with a terrific natural harbor and lots of war stories. The crew went to the Royal Malta Yacht club regatta reception and talked rum stories.

Malta to Valencia, and many stops in between The Grateful Red sailed the Maghreb coast of Africa then across the Med to the Spanish Balearic Islands of Majorca and Ibiza finally arriving in the port of Valencia. The crew was Fred and Paula Sheil, Molly Van Wees, Kristine and Ken. The adventure started with Fred finding the Malta go to person – Leno. Leno owned a local and close to the boat bar – a great combination. In his 20’s Leno had captained a boat around the Cap of Good Hope to bring supplies to American troops in Viet Nam – from the neutral country of Malta. His stories were worth the beers provided.

We left Malta stopping in Gozo island for paperwork but Fred had no paperwork – a delay but not a hold up. Next island was Pantelleria where Kristine made friends with Vito the “dock mister” helping us restock before leaving Europe for North Africa.

Tunisia was the first North African stop – site of the first Arab spring demonstrations, no functioning government and the Grateful Red was a little short of documents. Management decision was to go to a small Tunisian port that had little experience with red American sailing vessels and hope for the best. Sidi Daoud was our first port of call. Definitely never seen a red American sailboat in fact there were no sailing vessels of any kind in the harbor only working fishing boats, oily water and a broken down wharf. The local authorities were on us with paperwork (yes the forms were in triplicate using carbon paper – no computers here). While Ken did paperwork Fred mingled with the locals. How –I am not sure since the locals spoke Arabic and some French and Fred spoke English and some Spanish. After a couple hours the paper work was done and one of Fred’s local buddies comes over - psst, psst with the crooked finger. We immediately think the worst – illegal and drugs – but Omar wins out. Fred and I follow Omar to the triple locked cement incased shed – inside is not drugs …. no there is a small pool of water and the biggest lobsters. A deal is immediately struck. Fred and Ken return to the boat as the “great white hunters’ showing the girls our two huge and perfectly legal lobsters. Dinner was terrific. Darkness sets Fred and I are taking the lobster remains on shore – again psst, psst – a wave of the hand. Again we are suspicious but …. the lobster worked out so we follow our friend to the shack where the night soldiers were located. Five nice soldiers about the age of Fred and my children proudly serving homemade cous cous to their new American friends. Not only a great time (and taking pictures of Fred and I with each soldier) but they convinced us to stay another day, we hired a van to drive us around to see the local sites including the ancient town of Kerkoane. Our best time.

"Kerkouane is in Tunisia. A city of the Pheonician and Punic periods it was probably abandoned in 3rd century BC and, therefore, largely ignored by the Romans. "

Each of the Tunisian stops were the same – friendly people, really different and happy to have some American tourists come to their country.

Interesting stop - complete with camel rides and beer purchases (men only) at the back door of the Market.

Finally we sailed on to Algeria. Half the size of Europe and one of the top ten oil producers in the world with a government run by the Muslim Brotherhood. Definitely not a tourist haven. Immediately upon entering Algerian waters we were met by the Algerian Navy – again a little short of paperwork. Captain of the destroyer was quite friendly. We sailed to the Algerian ports of Chetaibi and Collo. Definitely never seen an American boat in these ports. Every Algerian wanted a picture with the Grateful Red, USA 42 sail number and American flag in the background. Mobbed is all I can say. (Friendly mob)

In Collo, Fred and Ken took a stroll through town. Discreetly two soldiers follow behind. Why we ask – if something happens to an Algerian not a problem but if something happens to an American – “there will be lots of paperwork”. All military management is the same – limit the paperwork. We couldn’t change money to pay for diesel (diesel was about ten cents a gallon) but with military approval Kristine traded a Grateful Red T-shirt and hat for 25 gallons of diesel and a couple bags of ice. Kristine was invited to his “official office” to sign his log. Two pictures in the office – Che Guevera and President Obama.

A two day two night Mediterranean crossing to Majorca where we met up with our French friends – Guy, Renee and their boat Cachou at the Copa del Rey regatta. Blender party! Spent a night in Ibiza – party capital of the Med. Molly and Ken did a reconnaissance of a local club that holds an easy 1500. Definitely a party capital! After over two weeks for sailing, visiting and exploring the Grateful Red docked in Valencia harbor.

While Ken and Kristine took a trip back home, Fred and Paula stayed and enjoyed the great marina and city of Valencia.

The Grateful Red spent a month at the Valencia marina having both repairs and upgrades. The key repair – Pat the refrigerator technician flew in from California to Valencia plus Ken hired a local refrigeration repair man. The result – the Grateful Red again has cold beer. Took four days to repair the refrig compressor. After a month Ken and Kristine returned to be joined with George and Teri for a Spanish coastal cruise – looking for a Spanish bull fight that never was to be found. The first leg was an overnight to Puerto de Santa Pola. While the beer was cold the instruments/auto pilot continued to have issues. With such a “crack” crew the spinnaker was deployed on the next leg a sail to Port Cartagena. Cartagena is also a NATO naval port and ………. on our way out a NATO submarine cruised …. and I mean cruised at about 20 knots ….. past us. Quite a sight. Another over night to Almerimar along the Spanish Costa del Sol coast. The Costa del Sol has miles and miles of over built and empty condos. With winds variable to none the Grateful Red motored to the port of Benalmadera where Teri and George took a cab to the Malga airport tp return and ….. the new crew of Ron, Niki and John arrived. Ron’s planning was terrific arriving in time to have a leaving and arriving crew party dinner in Benalmadera.

A new crew with experienced Grateful Red sailors Ron, Niki, Ken and Kristine and a newbie – John set sail from Benalmadera. The mission is to sail across the straits of Glbraltar to the Spanish enclave of Cueta on the Moroccan coast. Not only do the straits have tides and currents of the Mediterranean Sea meeting the Atlantic Ocean but it has more commercialize ….. read huge big boat …. traffic than anywhere in the world. The crew decided to motor across the straits with Ron driving and Ken manning the AIS system. Result – successful crossing. At Cueta Ron and John were the Grateful recon team to determine the best method to visit Morocco, places to see and way to travel ….. camels? Rent a car and drove to Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountain range was the decision with Ron as the designated driver. Ron was a great driver. Chefchaouen is a mix of Arab and Berbers who were pushed out of Spain in 1492. They built mosques, baths and tiled courtyards only in the color blue, planted fruit trees and declared Chefcaouen a sacred city. Had an overnight in a local B&B and a great time touring with Niki and John. The next day Ron drove the rustic gravel road back to Cueta. Another motor back across the straits with the big commercial boats cruising at 20 knots to the British enclave of Gibraltar. The only road to the airport went a across the airport runaway – timing is everything. John and Niki returned to the Accenture work world, Ron flew back to Pip and Ken and Kristine spent the next two weeks in Gibraltar preparing the Grateful Red for the ocean crossing back to the Caribbean.

After a two layover of instrument issues and repairs in Gibraltar the Grateful Red was ready for the first leg of the ocean crossing back to Western Hemisphere and the Caribbean ---- Gibraltar to Las Palmas in the Gran Canaries ….. with a stop in Safi, Morocco to Marrakesh. Matt, Gordie and Paul arrived ready to sail. Gibraltar to Safi is a 500 mile run. The initial winds were terrific and the Grateful Red was blasting so much that Ken lost track of fuel consumption. Soon the wind died, than we ran out of fuel and finally the fog rolled in. Did I mention the “fog”, visibility was zero. We more or less drifted in to Safi port, we could hear the waves crashing on the rocks but couldn’t see the rock – 100 {e5b62957b3804ab7f47eece8c936dd4b822dafb6efd3f6ca02827a1c1cc3266f} by the chart no visuals. At eleven in the evening we tied off to a work ship in Safi harbor – the harbor had only commercial boats and the Grateful Red.

Ken’s friend Mohammed had arranged for a driver to Marrakesh …. and the driver was still waiting in Safi. Skipped most of the paperwork and off to Marrahesh. Mo had also arranged a Riad or private house that was rented out to guests. Finally at two in the morning the crew was asleep in the souks of Marrahesh. Mo had arranged a guide and three day tour of the sights, sounds and snakes of Marrahesh than back to Safi for the sail to Las Palmas.

Another 300 mile sail to Las Palmas. Safi is the port where it was proved that one could sail from Africa to South America in boat built solely of reeds and materials found in Africa. The current from Safi to the Caribbean is two knots – essentially one can and has floated from Safi, Africa to the Caribbean When the Grateful Red started the winds were less than ten knots, a milk man dead down run and ….. now filled with diesel ….. use of the engine got us on the way. By the end of day one we had the main reefed in and in Las Palmas in two days of sailing. Next sail was the ocean crossing – Las Palmas to St. Lucia. Gordie, Paul and Kristine did some island touring with ken and matt trying to resolve instrument issues for the crossing.

After a successful Gibraltar to Las Palmas sail the Grateful Red had a number of instrument issues primarily no auto pilot. Paul the instrument guru was flown to Las Palmas for onsite part change out and repair with Ken helping. With repairs ongoing the crew of Curtis, Jack and Mark arrived. In the ’09 crossing Curtis, Jack and Ken crewed the Grateful Red the 2,300 miles from Bermuda to the Azores. For the 3,000 mile return crossing from Las Palmas off the shore of Africa to Saint Lucia in the Caribbean – the earth is fatter in the middle -Mark joined the “crossing” crew. A successful safety inspection by the race committee, rounds of preparatory beverages and completed instrument upgrade the start date arrived with the boat ready. The Atlantic Rally Crossing ’11 had approximately 250 participating boats, about 10{e5b62957b3804ab7f47eece8c936dd4b822dafb6efd3f6ca02827a1c1cc3266f} catamarans/90{e5b62957b3804ab7f47eece8c936dd4b822dafb6efd3f6ca02827a1c1cc3266f} monohulls with an average boat length of 57 feet and the shortest boat was 32 feet – the Grateful Red at 40 feet was on the small size. As the Grateful Red motored out of the Las Palmas slip the throttle cable broke – boat could not be motored – a 3,000 mile sail and the Grateful Red was towed to the start line! The start was windy, crowded and a blast. For the first 15 days the winds, weather and crew were terrific. Fifteen to twenty five mile an hour winds, downwind sailing – spinnaker all day at eight plus knots, drop the spinnaker in the evening and sail reefed main at six to eight knots at night – fabulous sailing. The Grateful Red was on target for a 17 maybe 16 day crossing hopefully beating the 17 day crossing accomplished by Mr. Columbus in 1492. Life is good.

On day 15 the “Christmas winds” started to decrease by day 18 the wind velocity was zero! The Grateful Red was floating only 300 miles from the finish. With only enough fuel for about 50 miles of motoring and limited amount of cold beer crew morale dipped. Hard to work a midnight shift when the boat speed was two knots with a 1.5 knot current. One full moon night the crew just dropped all the sails and floated. By hook, crook and lots of irritating sailing at two knots by day 20 the Grateful Red was within 50 miles of Rodney Bay marina in St. Lucia – the finish. The last few gallons of fuel was used to motor – the Grateful Red arrived mid day of the 20th day at the finish. Successful crossing!

Sailing Crew and Land crew were overjoyed to see one another! Long time at sea and a long time for family to wait!!!

And then, back home this is what we do in the winter!

Left Key West in 2009, couple of years in the Med, and return crossing finally Ken and Kristine sailed the Grateful Red solo. first stopping in Marigot Bay in St. Lucia then sailed to St. Vincent and the Blue Lagoon. the Blue Lagoon was crowded so we hired a guide to visit the Montreal Gardens. Cruised on to Union Island and the Paradise Island Bar. Spent a couple days at Uniion Island then sailed to Port Louis, Grenada...Ken was surprised by Gordie and Anna flying in secretly to Grenada for ken\'s 60th Birthday. Party time! A Terrific 60th! (Didn\'t Gordie and Ken just graduate from Oregon High, must be his 40th??)

After a great 60th Birthday for Ken with Gordy and Anna, Ken and Kristine headed north to St. Lucia to catch a plane for Liza and Richie\'s Key West wedding. Another stop at Union Island, a visit to Castello\'s shirt shop where Ken hired Castello to hand paint the Grateful Red on a shirt for Liza\'s wedding. Cruised Tobago Cay, Mayreau and Cancouan to Mustique Island where Ken had made reservations for the 35th Mustique Blues Festival. Unbelievably Prince William, his wife kate and the royal entourage also attended the Mustique 35th Blues Festival. Please note - William is not a good dancer and Kate is pretty

After a respite in Rodney Bay St. Lucia, with a leaving marina blender party, Ken and Kristine sailed on - solo. Martinique, Dominica, Les Saintes - encountered few anchor off issues, part of the learning curve - Guadeloupe, Desirade Island and Antiqua. Lots of water, anchor-offs, cruiser partiers and ports for the Grateful Red, but all wonderful Caribbean cruising.

Wendell and Shelly joined up with Ken and Kristine in Antiqua. With a shallow draft the Grateful Red found spots that had no other vessels. With sailors like Wendell and shelly the symmetrical spinnaker was flown. The ending destination being St. Barth for Les Voiles de St. Barth Regatta, and a check out of the St. Martin party site - Mary\'s Boon Beach House

Les Voiles de St. Barth Regatta is a big time, well at least lots of really big racing yachts and...the Grateful Red. Wendell, Matt, Lilly, Ken and Kristine had the Grateful Red in racing form - around the island a couple of times, a couple of off-shore races and pretty light winds made a great regatta topped off by a well-attended Grateful Red blender bash!

After the party blues with Fred, Colby from Key West and Ken, the Grateful Red headed South on the leeward side of the Caribbean, Saba, St. Augustine Island, St. Kitt, Nevis, Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique and Rodney Bay again in St. Lucia. Lots of stories, ports, anchoring issues, hiking, exploring and conversation with this crew, but mission of return to St. Martin was accomplished.

Last sail for this season and with the nephews - Charlie, Girlfriend Kristy, Kyle and Garrett. A really fun crew and as luck has it, the boys met up with a great twenty-year old British sailor that \"fit\" into our crew. to monitor this group, Ken and Steve were on the crew. Half-way to Grenada, the Grateful Red made another stop at Union Island - the party island - for Charlie\'s 21st Birthday

Gordy, Gary and ken spent three days at various Grenada marinas getting the Grateful Red in the water for the 2013 season. A successful splash and sail to Union Island, Tobago Cay and back to Port Louis, Grenada was too eventful for pictures. The Grateful Red sail drive failed - could only go forward and only at four knots. docking at four knots draws a crowd. A bottle of Kopke port was drank after ordering a new sail drive from Sweden.

The new Grateful Red sail drive from Sweden got hung up in St. Marteen so when Ken arrived, no sail drive, no motor and little action. Call to Volvo US. Fedex and a credit card, new sail drive in three days. With tons of help from Kyle, Garrett, Kristi and Charlie - a five day visit by instrument guru Paul and seven days of work - plus a Kyle-organized blender party - the Grateful Red was splashed at 3PM, new sail drive test run for an hour and then departure at 4PM on an overnight to Trinidad for Ken\'s birthday and Charlie\'s successful summer intern internet interview.

Brad, Donna, Davin and Molly bought air tickets for the Trinidad Carnival Regatta....only issue was the regatta date changed. Boat was ready, crack crew was ready, and Ken and Kristine were anchored off by the sponsoring club, but no regatta. Went \"chirping\" all night long! A couple of anchor-off\'s and light wind sailing.

High school buddy Denny, Denny\'s son and Grateful Red foredeck of the 2013 Season Scotty, Kristine and Ken motored from friendly Trinidad to the mysterious Venezuela. The Venezuela paperwork cost one large bottle of Patron tequila...the Grateful was motoring 80 kilometers up the Orinoco Delta. Great fun, traded with the Wareo Indian children, saw the pink dolphin, stayed at the Orinoco Delta Lodge - first Americans to visit in more than five years, and took a couple-day tour in the \"deep jungle\".

Vicki joined the Scotty, Kristine and ken crew sailing to the Venezuelan Islands - Los Testigos, La Blanquilla and Margarita - supposedly Pirate infested seas. No Pirates were spotted, in fact, no sailboats spotted - only terrific places to anchor as the only boat with neighboring Venezuelan fisherman selling lobsters and fresh fish. Completed our paperwork the day before Hugo\'s demise. In Hugo\'s honor Venezuela went dry for two weeks - luckily the Grateful Red sails well stocked with alcohol for such situations.

A successful crew change in Polomar, Venezuela. New crew Bob showed up at 2AM and Ken picked him up in the dinghy. Vicki and all her bags were checked for drugs at the airport...Vicki has that drug dealer look! Typically, the Grateful Red was not only the only American flag boat, but the only foreign flagged boat. Las Roques and Los Aves archipelagos were superior sailing, snorkeling and cruising grounds....and not another sailboat to be seen. Great Fun!

Beth and daughter Kat joined Scotty, Kristine and Ken to cruise the ABC Islands - Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Paperwork was done at commercial run down ports, not much of a cruiser crowd coming to these islands. Found a slip at a high-end Bonaire resort - lots of fun, with pools and bars. After a week, arrived at the Renaissance marina in Aruba - site of the 2013 Grateful Red Party.

Picked up a new crew member at the Aruba party - Hanna's first time on the Grateful Red is a three-overnight sail from Aruba to Santa Marta, Columbia. But the Scotty, Jack, Matt, and Ken crew has done more than a few overnights on the Grateful Red. A few paperwork issues along the way combined with a diesel tank leak and repair keeps the sailing interesting!

Back at the beginning of the 19th Century when the Panama Canal was being constructed, the Panama government gave (forced?) the Kuna Indians the San Blas Islands as their \"reservation\". The result is the San Blas Islands are semi-autonomous from the Panama government with the Kuna\'s maintaining their life style. The Kuna style is keeping the islands development free and pristine.

Last sail of the season with only a three person crew of Kristine, George and ken. left from Portabello - the world\'s richest port in 1500\'s with the Spanish boats laden with new world gold but now, pretty low-life. Crossed the long-line of huge boats waiting to enter the Panama canal, an overnight at Isla Escudo de Veraguas, and finally the Isla de Colon in Boca del Toros. A season ended.

Aruba Party 2013

Left Bruinesse in a rain turning to hail and entered the first locks of Belgium, picked up diesel in Ghent (along with a bar that served over 200 beers), and finally to the French canals. 200 some locks, a couple tunnels including the longest in France, then Ken and Kristine were in Reims, heart of Champagne country. Leneke and Hanneke came from Haarlem for tastings; Didier Herbert, Mark Hebrart, Pierre Peters, and Vilmart. All very tasty.

In Chaumont the rivers run into the Atlantic ocean; once through the Balesme Tunnel (five kilometers long), the rivers run to the Mediterranean Sea. Wendell and Shelley joined Ken and Kristine in this winter-like ending to the French canals, the last fifty locks into the Saone river. Then Burgundy wine tastings, Gevry Chambertin, Aloxe Corton, and Vosee Romanee in the north; Chassagne Montrachet and Meursault in the south of the Cote d\' Or. So much wine, so little time!

The Saone river to Lyon, where Ken, Kristine and Eddie picked up Mark and Mark and met up with the Rhone river. Vineyards only on the right bank, Condrieu, Hermitage in the north, Saint Joseph in the mid valley, and Chateauneuf du Pape in the south. Tasted them all. Spent a night in Avignon, the city of the Popes. Went through deepest French lock.

Grand Cayman to Cuba then Providenciales Turks and Caicos

Girls Bahama's Trip